Volume 7 Issue 4 - February 15, 2010
Government takes a re-look at deaf driving, consults health specialists
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The government’s latest twist in the deaf driving case is its decision to ‘re-consider’ issuing driving licenses to deaf persons.
Government’s counsel Jyoti Singh said, “We are consulting health specialists and a study is being carried out to show how hearing impairment can affect driving.” Singh further said, “Technical specialists have disapproved the idea of issuing licenses to the deaf but we are still trying to consult health specialists.”
The government is expected to submit a report on this matter to the Delhi High Court by February 17.
It may be mentioned that the Motor Vehicles Act presently debars issuing of licenses to the deaf on the grounds that they could be a source of danger to the public! Barring 26 countries including India, deaf driving is permissible all over the world.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- â€śD.R.F. would like to promote further advocacy work on C.R.P.D. to advance the human rights of persons with disabilities,â€ť Szporluk, Deany
- M.S.J.E. considering a new law over amendments, Wasnik tells D.R.G.
- Census Commissioner open to inputs from the disability sector
- N.A.S.S.C.O.M.â€™s Disability Advisory Group â€“ Good start but apprehensions persist
- D.R.G.â€™s protest against governmentâ€™s apathy on deaths at Asha Kiran
- Another disabled youth faces I.A.S. roadblock
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister goes all out to empower disabled people
- East Zone Consultation on Disability Act in Guwahati on February 20
- Only 49 scribes for over 200 dyslexic students
- Government takes a re-look at deaf driving, consults health specialists
- Diamond maker to employ 1000 disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: