Volume 1 Issue 5 - November 01, 2003
National panel for disabilities notified
DNIS News Network -- The Government of India has finally notified the constitution of National Commission for Persons with Disabilities.
It is understood that the nine-member panel would comprise a chairman, two full-time members and five associate members. The commission will also have a full-time member secretary. These members would have the power to seek information from any government organisation concerned with the implementation of schemes for disabled people.
According to teh Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment's (MSJE) gazette notification, three members should represent persons with hearing impairment, visual impairment, and physical disability. It is believed that one member each will be nominated from the association of parents of persons suffering from mental retardation and those affected by autism, cerebral palsy and multiple disabilities.
It has been decided that at least two members would be women. The chairperson and other members, except member secretary, would be appointed for a three-year term and can be re-appointed for an additional term.
The role of the commission would be to recommend action plans to the Centre to enable full participation of disabled people in society, including provisions for right to education; vocational training; poverty alleviation; employment and other support services.
However, when the secretary of MSJE was contacted on the powers of the commission, he said the commission would initially have no statutory power as is currently enjoyed by the office of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD).
However, he did mention that eventually the commission would be formed through an amendment presented in Parliament after which CCPD will be dissolved at the central level.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Meet on incentives for corporates to employ disabled people
- National panel for disabilities notified
- Samsung to sponsor 20 scholarships for disabled students
- NCPEDP to conduct an audit on the NHFDC's operations
- Disability music video, Kinara, selected for international film festival
- Centre, Delhi governments to set up autism centres
- NCPEDP to conduct employment audit in private sector
- 59th Commission of ESCAP to make the region barrier-free
- Natalie is a very special athlete
- Rapist of mentally challenged to face
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: