Volume 4 Issue 5 - March 01, 2006
M.S.J.E. asks States to send recommendations for amendment to Disability Act
D.N.I.S. News Network - The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) has asked the States to send their suggestions for amendment to the Disability Act 1995 and given eight weeks time for the same.
This was stated by the M.S.J.E. Secretary, Sarita Prasad, at the Fifth National Meeting of State Commissioners for Persons with Disabilities held recently in the National Capital. State Commissioners for Disabilities from 21 States and three Union Territories took part in the 2-day meeting to review the implementation of the Act.
Minister M.S.J.E. Meira Kumar, who was also present, urged the Chief Ministers of all States to appoint full-time Disability Commisioners. Eight States have appointed full-time Commissioners. These are Andhra Pradesh, Chhatisgarh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal. 19 States have constituted Medical Boards in each district to facilitate issue of disability certificates. The Ministry has identified more than 1,600 jobs, including I.A.S. and other Central Services, for disabled people.
Expressing concern over non-implementation of three per cent reservation for disabled people mandated in the Act, she said "I consider it a matter of concern that some of the States are yet to identify the jobs. They should adopt the list notified by the Central Government."
Union Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment Subulakshmi Jagdeesan noted the need to have a wider role for the Rehabilitation Council of India and the National Institutes; and to bring about uniformity of curriculum and proper distribution and maintenance of aids and appliances for children with disabilities.
Earlier, making a presentation the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities, Dr. Manoj Kumar said that all States have constituted the State Coordination Committees and State Executive Committees under the Persons with Disability Act, 1995. However, regular meetings of these Committees are not held.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- There is something for everyone in the Railway Budget, says Lalu! But what about disabled people?
- Inclusive education needs funds
- Union Budget fails to deliver an incentives policy to promote employment for disabled people
- Hopes of millions of disabled people dashed! Lalu’s Orwellian budget fails to address demands
- M.S.J.E. asks States to send recommendations for amendment to Disability Act
- Delhi High Court pulls up Indian Railways for not implementing Disability Act
- Delhi High Court issues notices to private airlines seeking details on disability access
- Delhi High Court issues notice to U.G.C. on lack of facilities for disabled students
- Delhi High Court orders Centre & D.D.A. to notify scheme for land & plots at concessional rates
- Disability sector in Manipur demands implementation of Disability Act
- Learn from the past and move ahead to implement the Disability Act more effectively: Justice Verma
- North Zone Partners commit to strengthen National Disability Network
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: