Volume 6 Issue 5 - August 15, 2009
I.T. Ministry to discuss draft National Policy on Electronic Accessibility
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Ministry of Information Technology (I.T.) has convened a meeting on August 17 of all stakeholders to discuss the draft National Policy on Electronic Accessibility.
D.N.I.S. had earlier reported that N.C.P.E.D.P in collaboration with BarrierBreak Technologies has come up with a draft National Policy on Electronic Accessibility and that officials from the Ministry had attended the meeting of N.C.P.E.D.P.s Core Group on Communication and Information Technology. Following this development, the Ministry has sent out a letter to all stakeholders to discuss this policy on August 17.
The objective of the policy is to provide persons with disabilities equal access to electronic and information and communication technology and services. This policy expands on U.N.C.R.P.D. which India has ratified. The policy covers all electronic user interface and not just computers or internet.
The policy emphasizes the importance of creating awareness on accessibility and universal design and creating and implementing standards and guidelines. It also aims at promoting research and development in the area of universal design and assistive technology and independent living aids and schemes in the area of accessible electronic and information and communication technology. It lays importance on building capacity to ensure that accessible products and services can be developed in India.
If passed it will indeed be a pathbreaking achievement for the disability sector.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- P.M. directs H.R.D. Ministry to include all disabilities in Right to Education Act
- I.T. Ministry to discuss draft National Policy on Electronic Accessibility
- Draft National Health Bill 2009 open for public comments
- D.R.G. forms an Amendments Committee to review proposed amendments to Disability Act
- C.D.P.F. registered in New Delhi
- Hotels to become disabled friendly
- I.C.T. to enable inclusive education in schools
- States yet to implement preferential land allotment for disabled people
- Court rooms to become accessible in Punjab and Haryana High Court
- Goa government offers V.R.S. for parents of children with disabilities
- Government urges car makers to manufacture disabled friendly vehicles
- N.C.P.E.D.P to form Zonal Committees
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: