Volume 6 Issue 5 - August 15, 2009
D.R.G. forms an Amendments Committee to review proposed amendments to Disability Act
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) has formed an Amendments Committee to review the proposed amendments to the Disability Act, 1995.
D.N.I.S. had reported in the August 1 issue that the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has come up with a draft of proposed amendments to the Disability Act, 1995. At the recent meeting of National Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities - India (N.C.R.P.D. - India), it was agreed that a wider consultation was needed on the amendments. Accordingly, the Amendments Committee was formed under the aegis of D.R.G.
The Committee includes Javed Abidi, Dr. Achal Bhagat, Arun Rao, A.S. Narayanan, G. Syamala, P.K. Pincha, Poonam Natarajan, Radhika Alkazi, Sachu Ramalingam, Dr. Shanti Auluck, Shivani Gupta and Vandana Bedi.
The Committee feels that the present amendments do not reflect the spirit of U.N.C.R.P.D which India has ratified. It feels that the Ministry should extensively consult the disability sector before finalising the amendments. The Committee meets twice a week and proposes to come up with an exhaustive draft for an improved Disability Act.
“The sector should work unitedly towards making the amended Disability Act more in tune with U.N.C.R.P.D. If we lose this opportunity, it will be years till we get another chance,” says Dr. Achal Bhagat.
“M.S.J.E.’s mindset must change. Instead of rushing into ‘amending’ the Disability Act of 1995, they should focus on putting together a new law capturing not just the letter of U.N.C.R.P.D. but its spirit as well. What we now need is a fresh legislation! We at D.R.G. have begun the process and already labelled it the Disability Act of 2009,” added Javed Abidi, Convenor, D.R.G.
To know more about the Committee and share your inputs, write to us at email@example.comClick here for the draft of proposed amendments as prepared by M.S.J.E (WORD - 465 KB)
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- P.M. directs H.R.D. Ministry to include all disabilities in Right to Education Act
- I.T. Ministry to discuss draft National Policy on Electronic Accessibility
- Draft National Health Bill 2009 open for public comments
- D.R.G. forms an Amendments Committee to review proposed amendments to Disability Act
- C.D.P.F. registered in New Delhi
- Hotels to become disabled friendly
- I.C.T. to enable inclusive education in schools
- States yet to implement preferential land allotment for disabled people
- Court rooms to become accessible in Punjab and Haryana High Court
- Goa government offers V.R.S. for parents of children with disabilities
- Government urges car makers to manufacture disabled friendly vehicles
- N.C.P.E.D.P to form Zonal Committees
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: