Volume 7 Issue 5 - March 01, 2010
N.C.P.E.D.P. commissions study on disability question in Census 2011
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: To ensure that disabled people are accurately enumerated in the upcoming Census of 2011, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) has commissioned a study on the crucial ‘disability question’ to be included in the Census 2011 Questionnaire. Diversity and Equal Opportunity Centre (D.E.O.C.) is conducting the study on its behalf.
As part of the study, a questionnaire is being circulated among leading disabled rights activists from across disabilities and across the country on their opinion as to how the question on disability should be framed to ensure that disability is accurately reflected in the upcoming Census.
Although the disability sector managed to secure a question on disability after a prolonged struggle in the previous Census of 2001, the results were shockingly poor. Conservative estimates put the figure on disabled population of the country at 6 – 7 percent while Census 2001 put it at a mere 2.13 percent. This was unequivocally refuted by the sector.
Javed Abidi, Honorary Director, N.C.P.E.D.P., recently met with Dr. C. Chandramouli, Census Commissioner of India to discuss this issue. It was agreed in the meeting that the result/report of the N.C.P.E.D.P. study will be sent to the Technical Committee of the Census Commission for finalizing the questionnaire and the instruction manual for enumerators.
The study is expected to be complete by the first week of March.
For more information, please write to email@example.com
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- â€śWe cannot have inclusive growth unless disability is made an integral part of our growth,â€ť Vinnie Mehta
- East Zone leadership roots for a new law with sharper teeth
- Finally, disability finds a place in the Union Budget!
- Is M.S.J.E. finally inching towards a new law?
- C.P.I. (M.) lends support to disability sectorâ€™s demand for a new law
- D.R.G. Core Group making steady progress in drafting a new disability law
- N.C.P.E.D.P. commissions study on disability question in Census 2011
- Health Ministry planning to amend Mental Health Act of 1987
- East Zone Consultation in Guwahati endorses demand for a new law
- Government finally spells relief for inmates at Asha Kiran
- N.C.P.E.D.P. writes to Sports Ministry on mismanagement of funds at P.C.I.
- Desert Storm opens avenues for disabled participants in car rallies
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: