Volume 7 Issue 5 - March 01, 2010
N.C.P.E.D.P. writes to Sports Ministry on mismanagement of funds at P.C.I.
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Much has been said and written about rampant corruption in the guise of disability sports in the past few months following the terrible sham at the recently concluded International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports (I.W.A.S.) World Games at Bengaluru.
On January 12, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) wrote to Dr. M. S. Gill, Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports to direct his urgent attention to the scale of corruption that is taking place in the Paralympics Committee of India (P.C.I.) and to various serious allegations against it. This was the third letter in 6 months to Dr. Gill. Shockingly, the Minister and his ‘babus’ are still silent on this issue!
In the letter, N.C.P.E.D.P. highlighted complaints of sportspersons who attended several camps organised by P.C.I. There was nothing but utter chaos at these camps. Disabled sportspersons were left in a lurch, as there were no accessible toilets, no proper arrangements for accommodation or even escorts for disabled female sportspersons. Lakhs of rupees were being siphoned off with no accountability whatsoever.
With the way the Ministry is trying to shrug off the issue, it is cementing the belief that its officials are also hands in glove in this. D.N.I.S. had earlier reported in the December 15 issue on the serious anomalies in the field of disability sports.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- â€śWe cannot have inclusive growth unless disability is made an integral part of our growth,â€ť Vinnie Mehta
- East Zone leadership roots for a new law with sharper teeth
- Finally, disability finds a place in the Union Budget!
- Is M.S.J.E. finally inching towards a new law?
- C.P.I. (M.) lends support to disability sectorâ€™s demand for a new law
- D.R.G. Core Group making steady progress in drafting a new disability law
- N.C.P.E.D.P. commissions study on disability question in Census 2011
- Health Ministry planning to amend Mental Health Act of 1987
- East Zone Consultation in Guwahati endorses demand for a new law
- Government finally spells relief for inmates at Asha Kiran
- N.C.P.E.D.P. writes to Sports Ministry on mismanagement of funds at P.C.I.
- Desert Storm opens avenues for disabled participants in car rallies
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: