Volume 4 Issue 6 - March 15, 2006
I.T.C. undertaking initiative for inclusion of disabled people
D.N.I.S. News Network- With the Indian economy galloping at the pace of eight per cent, there is an increased demand for skilled human resource in the industry and service sector. It is with this in view that the I.T.C. Welcome Group of Industries has undertaken a multi-pronged initiative for inclusion of disabled people in its workforce.
In a communication to N.C.P.E.D.P., the Group has shared their ideas for effective employment of disabled people.
Some of the salient aspects of this approach are:
Linking disabled people with human resource functions so that it is gradually institutionalised.
Ending myths associated with disabled people when it comes to employing them. This would be done by greater information dissemination and exposure, in partnership with disabled peoples organisations.
Identifying niche opportunities where the capability of disabled people find place in the working needs of an organisation without a hiccup in the flow of the work.
Making the working place a universal building from design stage to bring in access features like ramps, disabled-friendly toilets and necessary assistive technologies.
In the said communication, General Manager Welcomenviron Initiatives Nirajan Khatri said: We have so far taken only 13 disabled people and as our collective learning increases, the numbers will be scaled up. The key lies in the industry recruiting in small numbers to begin with, in order to move the statistics to somewhere around four per cent of the workforce in the Indian Industry in the next three to four years.
Following a recent meeting with National Association of Blind and Enable India in Bangalore, the Group has recruited four disabled people at ITC Hotel Windsor Sheraton and Towers.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- We will do everything to take care of our disabled citizens: Railway Minister
- National Policy for Persons with Disability released on M.S.J.E. website
- Chhattisgarh becomes the first state to frame a policy for disabled people
- Posts for disabled people to be identified soon: Manipur Chief Minister
- Disability Law Unit β South launches advocacy campaign for disabled friendly elections
- Disability Movement to penetrate in the poorest districts of India
- Master Plan Delhi-2021 in its finalisation phase
- World Bank to award grants to innovative ideas on employment generation for disabled people in Pak
- I.T.C. undertaking initiative for inclusion of disabled people
- India will become second in the world in glaucoma cases by 2020: Study
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: