Volume 9 Issue 7 - June 15, 2012
D.R.G. member resigns from Ministry of Civil Aviation CommitteeD.N.I.S. News Network, India: Shivani Gupta, nominated by Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) to the Ministry of Civil Aviation Committee drafting a new set of guidelines for carriage of passengers with disabilities, has resigned citing disagreement on the process and the lackadaisical attitude being adopted towards the continuing discrimination by airlines. Incidentally, one of the much publicised incident where the U.N. Special Rapporteur on Disability was humiliated happened in an Indigo flight, which is a member of the said Committee.
Gupta said that while it is important to review the existing Civil Aviation Requirements (C.A.R.) on carriage of persons with disabilities, the Ministry should take at least some steps, even if they are small, to implement the existing C.A.R. to stop harassment at the ground level. The Ministry seems to be buying time and pacifying the sectors anger with the Committee without any definite commitment to stop such gross violations, she said in her letter.
The last straw, according to Gupta was the violation at the hands of Indigo, which happens to be a member of this Committee. If being part of the Committee is so meaningless then why have it in the first place, she stated.
There are countless unreported cases that happen on a daily basis. Today each time I want to travel by air, I am actually scared of what treatment I may receive even though I am a member of this distinguished Committee. It is unethical for me to sit on a Committee while no change is happening on the ground, Gupta added.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- âExcept making a little noise on the post 2015 development goals, the global disability movement is not up for the challenge aheadâ: Javed Abidi
- âThe challenge is to provide students with disabilities what they need, when they need it; and as a matter of rightâ: Rajluxmi Murthy
- Department of Disability Affairs notified
- National Advisory Council supports full legal capacity
- D.R.G. member resigns from Ministry of Civil Aviation Committee
- Government interviews a new set of candidates for the post of R.C.I. Chairperson
- National Youth Policy 2012 to also focus on youth with disabilities
- National Skill Development policy leaves much to be desired
- Only 160 crore for e-inclusion in the 12th Plan
- Tamil Nadu to issue R.T.I. replies in Braille
- D.U. hypes an âincreaseâ in number of disabled applicants, but half of the seats still go vacant
- Applications invited for Jamsetji Tata Chair for Universal Design
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: