Volume 6 Issue 8 - October 01, 2009
India ratifies U.N.C.R.P.D. and then forgets!
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: On October 1, 2007, India ratified the United Nations Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities (U.N.C.R.P.D.), much before any other significant country in the world. However, two years down the line, its implementation is close to zero! U.N.C.R.P.D. in India has just been rendered to a paper that the President of India had put her signature on.
The Convention was seen as a significant step in the paradigm shift in India from charity and welfare to rights and empowerment of people with disabilities. But all that it has witnessed in the last two years is government’s apathy. It is a sad fact that most State departments and officials are not even aware of the existence of this international law.
Moreover, there is no clarity on government’s stand vis - a - vis the implementation of the Convention. Disabled rights activists have long been demanding the setting up of a focal point for its implementation in the Prime Minister’s Office but to no avail.
The Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.) was formed to monitor the implementation of U.N.C.R.P.D. It consists of 12 members, one each from Qatar, Jordan, Tunisia, Bangladesh, Chile, Hungary, Kenya, Australia, Spain, Ecuador, Slovenia and China. Though India was the 7th and the first prominent country to have ratified the Convention, it does not even have a representation on the Committee.
Onus now also lies on the Indian disability sector to raise the tempo for the implementation of the Convention in both letter and spirit.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- India ratifies U.N.C.R.P.D. and then forgets!
- Finally, R.T.E. Act to be amended to include all disabilities
- Hush hush appointment of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
- International Day of the Deaf celebrated
- Amendment or New Law? National Consultation to take the debate further
- â€˜Right to Readâ€™ : Visually impaired people demand a change in the Copyright Act
- Draft Amendments to the National Trust Act released
- Pay up, Supreme Court tells banks!
- Right to drive for hearing impaired people - Delhi High court to decide soon
- Delhi High Court directs Delhi government to appoint special educators
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: