Volume 6 Issue 8 - October 01, 2009
Delhi High Court directs Delhi government to appoint special educators
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: A Division Bench comprising Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice Manmohan has directed the Delhi government to appoint special educators in the 3,000 schools run by it and Municipal Corporation of Delhi (M.C.D.) and New Delhi Municipal Council (N.D.M.C.) within the next 6 months.
The Bench was hearing a P.I.L. filed by an N.G.O. complaining about the lack of efforts by the government to bring disabled children to mainstream education. The judges said that by denying disabled children proper facilities the government was denying them the right to education.
Ashok Aggarwal, counsel for the N.G.O. said, “Schools are turning away children with disabilities. Principals tell parents that the schools do not have facilities for disabled children.”
Coming down heavily on the government, the court said that no school can refuse admission on grounds of disability. The court also said that the teachers should be specially trained and should preferably be a Bachelors in Special Education. The government has also been instructed to provide them with all adequate equipments.
According to Aggarwal, out of two lakh disabled children, only 15,000 are in private schools. "The future of the remaining children hangs in balance with no facility being provided to them," he said.
The government appointed committee's report on mapping disabled students across the city also came under severe criticism for not following proper methods.
"Mapping requires an extensive campaign having 200-300 people to get accurate statistics,'' the bench observed while directing the government to conduct door-to-door campaign to list disabled students.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- India ratifies U.N.C.R.P.D. and then forgets!
- Finally, R.T.E. Act to be amended to include all disabilities
- Hush hush appointment of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
- International Day of the Deaf celebrated
- Amendment or New Law? National Consultation to take the debate further
- â€˜Right to Readâ€™ : Visually impaired people demand a change in the Copyright Act
- Draft Amendments to the National Trust Act released
- Pay up, Supreme Court tells banks!
- Right to drive for hearing impaired people - Delhi High court to decide soon
- Delhi High Court directs Delhi government to appoint special educators
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: