Volume 8 Issue 8 - November 15, 2011
Javed Abidi elected as Chairperson of D.P.I.
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: At the 8th Disabled People’s International (D.P.I.) World Assembly in Durban, Javed Abidi was elected as the Chairperson of D.P.I. for next four years.
The other members of the executive body are Michael Fraser (North America/Caribbean) as Deputy Chairperson for Human Rights; Rachel Kachaje (Africa) as Deputy Chairperson for Development and Under-Represented Groups; Samuel Kabue (Africa) as Secretary; Wilfredo Guzman Jara (Latin America) as Treasurer; and Kalle Könkkölä (Europe) as Information Officer.
In his message as the new Chairperson of D.P.I., Abidi said, “We need to have the ‘Courage of Conviction’ to believe in the direction that we are moving in. We must question the status quo and enable the winds of change to sweep in.”
Speaking on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.) and the road ahead, he said, “The C.R.P.D. is as good as its implementation. To make C.R.P.D. a reality, we will have to invest in people with disabilities, build their capacities to be active and contributing members in the strategies for the implementation of C.R.P.D., groom younger leadership to take over the mantle and ensure political participation of people with disabilities.”
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- â€śThe governmentâ€™s commitment towards people with disabilities needs to reflect clearly in budgetsâ€ť
- Javed Abidi elected as Chairperson of D.P.I.
- 12th Plan Steering Committees: A major breakthrough for the disability sector
- The 13th N.C.P.E.D.P. â€“ Shell Helen Keller Awards 2011 announced
- N.A.C. to look into the proposed new disability rights law
- Coordination-cum-Monitoring Committee formed for I.S.L.R.T.C.
- Stakeholdersâ€™ Report for the U.P.R.
- Discriminatory law denies equal rights to hearing impaired girl
- M.H.A.D.A. rapped for not using the right definition of disability
- Report on setting up of the institute on universal design awaited
- A childrenâ€™s festival with a message
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: