Volume 8 Issue 8 - November 15, 2011
Discriminatory law denies equal rights to hearing impaired girl
Sometimes one is forced to wonder if the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.) has only been ratified in name when the reality of the grassroots in India comes to light. One such incidence is the rejection of the candidature of a speech and hearing impaired woman, T. Kavitha, who wanted to contest elections to the local bodies in Tamil Nadu from Navamaal Kapper village in Villupuram district.
The Federation of the Tamil Nadu Physically Handicapped Associations (F.T.N.P.H.A.) led a demonstration outside the State Election Commission office and protested against the archaic and unfair law in Tamil Nadu that prevents a person like Kavitha from contesting elections. The Tamil Nadu State Election Commission in their Handbook for Candidates (Rural) under Sec 2.2 (c) say that a person can be disqualified from filing nomination “if he or she is a deaf/ mute or of unsound mind.” And in the Handbook for Candidates (Urban), under Sec 2.3 (c) states that a person can be disqualified from filing nomination “if he or she is deaf/mute or of unsound mind or Leprosy affected.”
The F.T.N.P.H.A. condemned the use of the words such as sevittu-oomai (deaf-mute) in the Tamil Nadu Panchayat Act Sec 37(3) and laws which reject candidates on the basis of disability alone. The representatives from the federation met the Tamil Nadu State Election Commissioner, S. Ayyar, and demanded the removal of offending terminology and to take necessary measures to ensure that disabled persons are not denied equal rights under the law. They are also going to file a Public Interest Litigation in the Madras High Court seeking an amendment to the Act.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- â€śThe governmentâ€™s commitment towards people with disabilities needs to reflect clearly in budgetsâ€ť
- Javed Abidi elected as Chairperson of D.P.I.
- 12th Plan Steering Committees: A major breakthrough for the disability sector
- The 13th N.C.P.E.D.P. â€“ Shell Helen Keller Awards 2011 announced
- N.A.C. to look into the proposed new disability rights law
- Coordination-cum-Monitoring Committee formed for I.S.L.R.T.C.
- Stakeholdersâ€™ Report for the U.P.R.
- Discriminatory law denies equal rights to hearing impaired girl
- M.H.A.D.A. rapped for not using the right definition of disability
- Report on setting up of the institute on universal design awaited
- A childrenâ€™s festival with a message
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: