Volume 2 Issue 9 - May 01, 2004
Protest outside EC office; several activists detained
DNIS News Network -- Several activists from Disabled Rights Group (DRG) were detained while protesting outside the Election Commission office on April 15. The activists were demanding Braille script for EVMs and ramps to provide entry into the polling booths.
About 400 disabled rights activists protested in front of Jantar Mantar and then moved on to the Election Commission Office. The Delhi Police officials tried to prevent them from meeting the Chief Election Commissioner TS Krishnamurthy at his office in Nirvachan Sadan and resorted to force to disperse the gathering. Several protestors were detained when they blocked the road and stopped traffic movement for about 45 minutes.
Election Commission officials were unmoved by the demonstration and refused to meet the protestors to hear their plea. However, after much persuasion, a delegation of activists finally managed to hand over the memorandum to an official, who promised to pass it to Mr. Krishnamurthy. The demonstrations continued late into the afternoon even as the police tried forcefully to pack the disabled in their vehicles.
Meanwhile DRG convener, Javed Abidi, continued his fast unto death for the second consecutive day against the EC's " apathetic attitude" to polling station access for disabled voters.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Protest outside EC office; several activists detained
- PIL requests Chief Justice to intervene in the access order
- Javed Abidi files nomination to stand as an independent candidate
- CJI takes up access issue
- SC orders ramps for polling booths in cities
- Disabled celebrate verdict on ramps
- Incidence of disability declining says NSSO survey
- Sponsored worldwide bikers raise funds for ORBIS in Delhi
- Shortage of teachers for disabled people
- Disabled teenager conquers North Pole
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: