Volume 2 Issue 9 - May 01, 2004
Disabled celebrate verdict on ramps
DNIS News Network -- Over a hundred disabled people gathered at India Gate to celebrate the Supreme courts directive to all State governments to provide facilities to enable disabled people to exercise their right to vote.
The verdict was seen as a positive step towards providing access to public places for disabled people. Representatives from various organisations gathered to celebrate to the sound of loud sloganeering and the beat of drums. The provision of ramps and Braille labels are some of the changes that should be seen in the coming elections.
"We are proud of the decision made by the Supreme Court," said Javed Abidi, convener of Disabled Rights Group (DRG). Abidi however slammed the BJP and Congress for not including the issue of disability in their manifestos.
Alok Sikka, a disabled person present in the celebrations said: "Merely getting entitled to this right would not be enough. We should exercise the right. Only then will it hold any meaning."
Mr. Abidi hopes to take up the issues of the hearing impaired and leprosy affected voters in the next court hearing, set for July.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Protest outside EC office; several activists detained
- PIL requests Chief Justice to intervene in the access order
- Javed Abidi files nomination to stand as an independent candidate
- CJI takes up access issue
- SC orders ramps for polling booths in cities
- Disabled celebrate verdict on ramps
- Incidence of disability declining says NSSO survey
- Sponsored worldwide bikers raise funds for ORBIS in Delhi
- Shortage of teachers for disabled people
- Disabled teenager conquers North Pole
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: